The BBC has a very good episode in the Richard Dimbley Lecture series by Sir Tim Berners-Lee that may be of interest to our members. You can view it on iPlayer at
Oxford Brookes University, Wheatley Campus
5 Dec 2019
7:00 pm - 9:30 pm
Hosted by the School of Engineering, Computing and Mathematics, Oxford Brookes University
THIS EVENT IS NOW FULLY BOOKED.
We have been invited for a return visit to meet the robots and this time autonomous vehicles as well. Researchers will put them through their paces and explain the associated research.
Autonomous Vehicles: Racing and Research
The advent of autonomous vehicles has sparked excitement in developing self-driving racing cars. Oxford Brookes University (OBU) has for many years run the UK’s most successful Formula Student racing team, and taught many of the Engineers working in Formula 1. Now OBU has a multi-disciplinary team of Computing and Engineering students working closely alongside the Autonomous Driving research group, working hard to develop a fully self-driving racing car.
This talk features some of the challenges faced in developing a self-driving racing car – perception, localisation, path planning, vehicle control – and will outline some of the live research projects which go hand-in-hand addressing these.
Schedule of Event
- 7.00pm Buffet and Networking in PG1.01
- 7.30pm Talk on our work on Autonomous Vehicles, Cyber Security & Artificial Intelligence and More by Tjeerd Olde Scheper in PG1.01.
- 8.00pm Split into 4 groups to visit 4 x 15 minute demo’s of:
- Baxter Robot with Tom Baker
- Cozmo Robots with Peter Whittle
- Telepresence with Tjeerd Olde Scheper
- Robotic Arm with Matthias Rolf
- 9.00pm Closing Talk by Tjeerd Olde Scheper in PG1.01 and Goodbyes
- 9.30pm End